Author Topic: whats your small game gun of choice??  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Eycee1

• Guapo
whats your small game gun of choice??
« on: August 23, 2012, 07:32PM »
So what's everyone's gun of choice for small game and why?? :)...Figured it'd be a good topic since squirrel season opens up next week and some of the guys just got their hunting license. I'll start....I usually use my ruger 10/22 for squirrel but am contemplating using a shotgun this Season for squirrel to change it up....either a single shot or O/U depending on which I buy lol.....any thoughts?

Offline papabear

• Guapo
  • HUNT N FISH MARRIED HAVE 2-DAUGHTER'S 1-GRAND-SON
Re: whats your small game gun of choice??
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 07:52PM »
hunting up state it  my 22 . On long island it depends on where and when  I go I use a 410 when hunitng early morning or late afternoon during the day I use my 12 gage when I am nest shooting or a 20 gage in early evening but I all ways use #6 shot
papabear
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed-For Those Who Don't None Will Do
WE HUNT BY SIGHT-NOT BY SOUND
DUCKS UNLIMATED WESTERN SUFFOLK CHAPTER
New York Hunter Safety Instructor

Offline Eycee1

• Guapo
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 09:06PM »
Thanks for sharing!! I value your experience. This season I'm probably bring up both a .22 and a shotgun. And will prob get some adapters so I can shoot 12, 20 and 410 ga. Is there any better time to use a ccertain gauge or it doesn't matter?

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 09:45PM »
I love squirrel hunting with a .22. Nothing like sniping them out of the tops of trees full of foilage. Early in the season, with such heavy foilage hiding me from the squirrels view, many of my shots at them are lying on my back shooting straight up at them. Sometimes they nearly fall straight down on me.
Late in the season, when the woods are wide open, I'll use a shotgun to jump squirrels on the ground running through the woods.
Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 11:04PM »
Still don't know ... A newbie here ...
I Fear No Evil, for you are with me

Offline Eycee1

• Guapo
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 11:11PM »
Still don't know ... A newbie here ...

Well we are all here to help senor!! That's one reason why I made this thread to spark convo and get everyone's poin of view :)

Can't go wrong with a scoped .22 and a shotgun and I know we all have those here lol. Speaking of that I gotta get to the range monday or Tuesday to check the scope on my .22 and prob my deer gun and to try out one or both of the shotguns I'm buying from gander mountain this weekend lol so if u want to go to the range we can meet up, let me know

Offline papabear

• Guapo
  • HUNT N FISH MARRIED HAVE 2-DAUGHTER'S 1-GRAND-SON
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 10:42AM »
There are a few tricks you should know if you are hunting with a partner it easy one on the front side of tree other on the back side one will always have a shot when hunting alone Cary rocks in your pocket when he go's on the other side of the tree and you have no shot toss a rock up in the tree as close to him as you can most of the time they will run to the other side to give you a shot also  you can suck on your back hand between the thumb and pointing finger making a sound like a squeal some times they will come to see what's going on . When there are no squirrels around you can shoot the nest I took four out of one nest last year.
papabear
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed-For Those Who Don't None Will Do
WE HUNT BY SIGHT-NOT BY SOUND
DUCKS UNLIMATED WESTERN SUFFOLK CHAPTER
New York Hunter Safety Instructor