forum

Author Topic: Hunting seat  (Read 1875 times)

Online sbninja

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 349
Hunting seat
« on: November 12, 2012, 05:05PM »
When the posse went hunting in the Adirondacks, we all had little seats. They were small pads with straps that we strapped around our back packs, came in handy! But you pretty much had to sit on the ground, a bit uncomfortable.

A couple days after getting home, I went into Dick's sporting goods. I found and bought a really nice 3 leg folding stool! very light and holds up to 225lbs for $9.99 :rtThumb it folds up very compact and also has a strap so you can strap it around your back pack just like the pad. extremely comfortable!

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11905240

It seems that dicks also sells another 3 leg folding stool that has a rating of 250lbs :bobwink for $19.00 But I didn't see this in the store (Lake Grove - Smithhaven Mall)

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11062721

I would definitely give both of these stools a Guapo's thumbs up!  :rtThumb

Capt. Adama - "There's a reason why you separate military and police. One fights the enemy of the state, the other serves and protects the people.
When the Military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."

Offline 03k64

• El Guapo
  • Liked: 215
Re: Hunting seat
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 05:08PM »
I have a similar seat (black, not camo).  I use it at some of the longer matches.

Offline papabear

• Guapo
  • HUNT N FISH MARRIED HAVE 2-DAUGHTER'S 1-GRAND-SON
  • Liked: 135
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 05:16PM »
I use a seven galon spacal buket painted camo it fits all my gear plus lunch water and much more easy to carry I use this for deer and water fowel

not my bucket but this is what it looks like

papabear
Attachments:
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed-For Those Who Don't None Will Do
WE HUNT BY SIGHT-NOT BY SOUND
DUCKS UNLIMATED WESTERN SUFFOLK CHAPTER
New York Hunter Safety Instructor

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 3093
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 05:32PM »
I like it
I Fear No Evil, for you are with me

Offline cas

• El Guapo
  • The last of the V8 interceptors.
  • Liked: 2269
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 06:17PM »
I have one. Those little three legged stools work well in the store, in your driveway or in your house. Out in the woods, with uneven ground comprised of 800 years of fallen leaves, not so much. Results vary on terrain.

All depends on what you want to hump around and how far.  I've been using the same Therma-rest (foam pad) since 1988.  :sonrisa

What I also have that works well, but I only use it on occasion is a beach chair. You know the folding cloth chairs that we all have and use at the skeet get togethers…  only it's the short kind for the beach, so you're only a few inches off the ground. But you're off the ground.  :bobwink And have a back rest.  Mine's hunter safety orange.  :somb4

Heck those folding chairs we use work great too if you're not going far.  I've used them a time or two when I was hunting near the house.

They also make "tree seats" that attach to a tree, sort of like a tree stand chair, but at ground level.   
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 06:19PM by cas »
"Baseball's a game and games are supposed to be fun".-Jack Elliot

Offline cas

• El Guapo
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 06:26PM »
They also make little blinds out of those folding chairs… you get a seat, a roof and sides for concealment. Again, all depends on what you want to carry and spend.

Online sbninja

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 349
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 07:46PM »
I thought about the legs sinking into the ground. They also make a tree seat that straps right to a tree. It's a bit heavier.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:08PM by sbninja »
Capt. Adama - "There's a reason why you separate military and police. One fights the enemy of the state, the other serves and protects the people.
When the Military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."

Offline cas

• El Guapo
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 07:59PM »
I have a tree seat that was my brother in laws… I think we used it once or twice. An older model with just a hard plastic seat you strap to a tree. Not real light, not something you'd want to carry around all day.  The real problem was it's a small seat with a straight upright back…. assuming the tree is straight.

Any of you guys are welcome to it if you think you might use it. (Not really made for people my size.)

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 2154
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 10:29PM »
The chair looks like it sits very low to the ground, making it uncomfortable for sitting a long time. And many times those chairs in the cold weather make a creaking/squeaking noise where the 3 legs come together. Sure to frighten off any deer nearby.
I personally still like the foam pads. I use 2 of them and its very comfortable on your bottom. Find the right tree with a slight lean back to it, and I've had many a good naps in the woods.  :D  And they weigh almost nothing. I know the chair weighs about 2 pounds. But that 2 pounds adds up when you're trekking up and down mountains for miles. And it's very hard to still hunt, and sneak thru the woods up on a deer with that chair strapped across your back.
This is my take on what works after 30 years of hunting. I've tried other folding chairs and seats. In a ground blind the 4 leg seats are great. But for going mobile, I'd rather only have the foam pad.
Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!

Offline cas

• El Guapo
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 11:45PM »
I'm thinking of bringing one of my hammocks and stringing it up in the woods this year. Problem is I know I'll fall asleep.
:D

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 3093
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 08:35AM »
Sleeping in the woods with those crazy squirrels... Noooooo, I am on the hunt!
I Fear No Evil, for you are with me