forum

Author Topic: What happened to my Zero  (Read 1035 times)

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 3093
What happened to my Zero
« on: November 01, 2013, 09:12PM »
really like this video

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMRBl10ChZ8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">What Happened to My Zero? Riflescope Zero Troubleshooting Tips from Horus Vision</a>

good stuff
I Fear No Evil, for you are with me

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 2154
Re: What happened to my Zero
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 09:23PM »
If you're a benchrest shooter, those things will make a big difference. But for your average hunting rifle shot under 50 yards on average, things shouldn't change much. My hunting rifle has been zereod for the last few years. I'll fire about 3 shots each year at the range to verify it's zero, then go hunting. I won't clean the gun after the range for sure though. Besides having it shoot slightly different in a clean barrel as opposed to a fouled one, I don't want the smell of Hoppes scaring away the deer.
Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!

Offline papabear

• Guapo
  • HUNT N FISH MARRIED HAVE 2-DAUGHTER'S 1-GRAND-SON
  • Liked: 135
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 09:41AM »
P.bob I agree I woun't clean my marlin till the hunting is all done
papabear
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed-For Those Who Don't None Will Do
WE HUNT BY SIGHT-NOT BY SOUND
DUCKS UNLIMATED WESTERN SUFFOLK CHAPTER
New York Hunter Safety Instructor

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 11:30AM »
I have dropped my rifle while hunting and hit the scope on a rock. Yet, when I checked the gun later on, it was still zeroed for hunting accuracy. Maybe it changed less than an 1" at 100 yards, but that is still game taking accuracy for deer. All that pinpoint accuracy applies to benchrest shooting, or if I plan to ever shoot deer at 2ooyds+. But here in NY, you'd be lucky if you get a 100yd shot. Which is why I always sight deer rifles for 50 yds, the more realistic long distance you're likely to encounter here.

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 11:45AM »
I guess that being off by 1 inch on a Deer at 25 yards may not be an issue, but on smaller game at longer distances it could mean a miss (no idea what I am talking about here; never hunted).  I think he is trying to explain why your zero can be affected.  whether it is by much to be significant in your hunt maybe something that experience like yours can attest to. 

Do you see any value on his video as an experienced hunter?

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 11:48AM »
Everything he says is relevant and has truth to it. The degree that it matters is relevant to the situation in which the rifle is used. For hunting in the the Northeast, there is minor factors. But out West where you can average 200-300 yard shots on Antelope, will have significant impact.

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 11:50AM »
gotcha.

That brings another question.... I will create another topic for it