Author Topic: *bar -> random chitchat thread <- bar*  (Read 203285 times)

SalR, hoodfu and 74 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online xdguy

• El Guapo
  • Not missing NY Y'all
  • Liked: 633
Re: *bar -> random chitchat thread <- bar*
« Reply #540 on: October 06, 2015, 11:36AM »
As bad at his shtick as Bieber.
NEW YORK the Expired State
I'm gone thank you

Offline DM

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 1384
*bar -> random chitchat thread <- bar*
« Reply #541 on: October 06, 2015, 08:24PM »
Internet in the country...

There ain't no cables or fiber-optics out here yet. It's a 5.7ghz microwave link to a tower a few miles away.

15 down 2 up, works well.

Attachments:

Offline Keepkool

• El Guapo
  • You only have one SHOT to make a good impression
  • Liked: 811
« Reply #542 on: October 06, 2015, 08:28PM »
Internet in the country...

There ain't no cables or fiber-optics out here yet. It's a 5.7ghz microwave link to a tower a few miles away.

15 down 2 up, works well.

LOL, you could be on dial up
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Offline DM

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #543 on: October 06, 2015, 08:35PM »
There was a moment of panic when I thought I was stuck with DSL. Lol

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 3743
« Reply #544 on: October 07, 2015, 01:24PM »
a microwave link ... that sounds cool.  This maybe a rhetorical question or just a stupid one.  But are there any dangers with using such a doo-heekee?  I ask since  microwaves are a bit energetic and I wonder if it could make your roof a bit warmer than usual?   .... Obviously you are using it and I am sure this is a non-issue.  Just curious how it works and how safe.
I Fear No Evil, for you are with me

Offline DM

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #545 on: October 07, 2015, 07:16PM »
No it's just high frequency line of site. Probably a bad idea to get your eyes near it, but really no chance of that happening high up on the roof.

Online xdguy

• El Guapo
  • Not missing NY Y'all
  • Liked: 633
« Reply #546 on: October 07, 2015, 07:18PM »
Try a hot dog on a long stick in front of it? :bigL
NEW YORK the Expired State
I'm gone thank you

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 3743
« Reply #547 on: October 08, 2015, 08:20AM »
I have seen those to connect and extend a network to close by locations.  Like if your company owned a couple of buildings close by, and they were within sight of each other, using a microwave antenna versus paying for a circuit to your communication company was always the better option.  Never knew that was available to the general public.  That is way cool and certainly better than any Satellite connection.  I am also sure the FCC has regulated those things well enough to make the safe and I am sure as long as you take the indicated pre-cautions you would be fine.  But they are microwaves after all and I always wonder.  The hotdog on a stick would be a cool experiment thou ;)
I Fear No Evil, for you are with me

Offline WHDPC113

• Guapo
  • If you ain't gaming, you ain't tryin'
  • Liked: 215
« Reply #548 on: October 08, 2015, 09:29AM »
a microwave link ... that sounds cool.  This maybe a rhetorical question or just a stupid one.  But are there any dangers with using such a doo-heekee?  I ask since  microwaves are a bit energetic and I wonder if it could make your roof a bit warmer than usual?   .... Obviously you are using it and I am sure this is a non-issue.  Just curious how it works and how safe.
No danger whatsoever. Power levels are WAY too low. [Little known fact: many automatic door openers in stores use microwave Doppler radar motion detectors pointed right at you. That's why your car radar detector sounds off near CVS stores and supermarkets.] Military radar is a very different story. Milliwatts vs. megawatts. 

DM is correct that long term exposure can damage the cornea, so they advise you not to look directly into the waveguide opening (and coffee can scald you, and fire can burn you and don't look into the muzzle and be sure to read that user manual before operating).  People get stressed over the term microware 'radiation', like it had a similarity to radioactivity, but it's non-ionizing radiation so the only potential concern is the gross heating effect like inside your "Radar Range". These no-FCC-license-required devices like motion detectors and short range data links are so low powered that you get hit with far more 'radiation' just standing in bright sunlight.
USPSA CRO, NRA RSO. NRA Life Member
If you want to be able to shoot, you have to get out and VOTE!
-Al

Offline DM

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #549 on: October 08, 2015, 10:31AM »

I have seen those to connect and extend a network to close by locations.  Like if your company owned a couple of buildings close by, and they were within sight of each other, using a microwave antenna versus paying for a circuit to your communication company was always the better option.  Never knew that was available to the general public.

Yes, same technology. Delay is about 5-7ms higher than the TWC cable service I had in the apartment which is not noticeable. So far it's been streaming HD Netflix just fine. My only other concerns is bad weather, but I'll have to wait until spring to see what happens with that.

Offline WHDPC113

• Guapo
  • If you ain't gaming, you ain't tryin'
  • Liked: 215
« Reply #550 on: October 08, 2015, 11:23AM »
I have satellite TV - cable is just too expensive, even for a simple package, and they raise it every year. During very heavy rain storms I lose the satellite briefly when there is a 'gully washer' downpour. I expect you'll see similar.  As far as bandwidth, a couple of storms ago when a falling tree's roots ripped up the cable, I was streaming live TV to my PC and Netflix to my TV by using my cell phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot. The 4G speeds were fine - I watched a full length movie and it buffered only once.  I think they're compressing the video for streaming, nothing you'd notice on anything less than a movie theatre size screen, but a major savings in WAN bandwidth.  The 15/2 you have is equal to or better than what cable originally offered, and is sufficient for the majority of home use. Until you start hosting servers in your basement, or making daily backup copies of Hillary's emails, 15/2 IMHO will do the job for you.
USPSA CRO, NRA RSO. NRA Life Member
If you want to be able to shoot, you have to get out and VOTE!
-Al

Online SalR

• Gran Jefe
  • Young Gun
  • Liked: 72
« Reply #551 on: October 08, 2015, 01:27PM »
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/10/de-blasio-to-nyc-turn-down-the-air-conditioning.html?mid=twitter_nymag

Its always been a pet peeve of mine,

I DON'T LIKE IT, THEREFORE IT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL

Offline DM

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #552 on: October 08, 2015, 01:29PM »
Another crazy mayor.

Offline cas

• El Guapo
  • The last of the V8 interceptors.
  • Liked: 2405
« Reply #553 on: October 11, 2015, 06:32PM »
We now return you to your unrelated web photos.

"Baseball's a game and games are supposed to be fun".-Jack Elliot

Offline DM

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #554 on: October 11, 2015, 06:59PM »
Lol Must be true. I read it on the Internet.