Author Topic: *bar -> random chitchat thread <- bar*  (Read 272950 times)

Online DM

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 1388
*bar -> random chitchat thread <- bar*
« Reply #1560 on: January 09, 2017, 08:58PM »
It you looking at a full size you should be able to get 8-10k off sticker. Midsize trucks were all just redesigned so there are not many deals on them right now.

My parents just bought a Chevy Traverse. They tried to buy at Paul Conte in Freeport and he offered $500 of sticker. They drove out to Atlantic and got $6k off. Dealers suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 11:10PM by DM »

Offline Keepkool

• El Guapo
  • You only have one SHOT to make a good impression
  • Liked: 811
Re: *bar -> random chitchat thread <- bar*
« Reply #1561 on: January 09, 2017, 10:11PM »
Hey KeepKool....  When you call Stan to ask about the Python, find out how much he wants for the High Standard and if it's and older one with just the barrel or a "newer" one with the python-ish barrel shroud.  I always wanted one of these. (Wanted one of everything High Standard made)

I was tempted to call Stan to look at a couple of the guns that where listed but I was able to control my inner Demond. If I do ,ill find out about  the High Standard
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Offline Keepkool

• El Guapo
« Reply #1562 on: January 09, 2017, 10:14PM »
Keepkool may only have 2 or 3 STI's and might want to add another to the pile.
If you want it I'll knock $1.35 off the price.
Interesting but this would make number 8, does anyone have the number to the Addiction Hotline. What Les Baer are you looking at?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 10:28PM by Keepkool »
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Offline Keepkool

• El Guapo
« Reply #1563 on: January 09, 2017, 10:19PM »
CAS , what caliber is that STI ?

Offline cas

• El Guapo
  • The last of the V8 interceptors.
  • Liked: 2421
« Reply #1564 on: January 09, 2017, 10:35PM »
.45 of course. :D

I plan to let ot go a week or so, then maybe knock something off the price. Then pull it and list it elsewhere.

It's pretty sad that I'd rather ship the gun and make less money than sell it locally face to face.

I'd like to buy a BOSS. The only way that would happen is to sell the Trojan, all my .308 ammo and something else. Perhaps my SuperNova that I was supposed to sell anyway.
Oddly enough, last months plan was to send the Trojan out to be plated.  :cui
"Baseball's a game and games are supposed to be fun".-Jack Elliot

Offline Keepkool

• El Guapo
« Reply #1565 on: January 09, 2017, 10:42PM »
.45 of course. :D

I plan to let ot go a week or so, then maybe knock something off the price. Then pull it and list it elsewhere.

It's pretty sad that I'd rather ship the gun and make less money than sell it locally face to face.

I'd like to buy a BOSS. The only way that would happen is to sell the Trojan, all my .308 ammo and something else. Perhaps my SuperNova that I was supposed to sell anyway.
Oddly enough, last months plan was to send the Trojan out to be plated.  :cui

I might have been a buyer if it was in .40. I have a Les Baer Premier in .45. It is the tightest 1911 I have ever seen. good luck on you decision.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 10:52PM by Keepkool »

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 2601
« Reply #1566 on: January 09, 2017, 11:03PM »
I know the game and have played it before. And I tell these dealers flat out, I know the way this game is played, so don't waste my time. And tell them I have no problem walking out on them.
Been to 4 dealers, and they are all giving about the same discount. There are some big rebates($5250), and this is what they all tout, like as if they're giving you the rebate, instead of the manufacturer. The bigger the rebates, the less than are discounting. And vice verse, the smaller the rebate, the bigger they discount.
And yes, I've had them call me back after walking out, with an offer of just another $50-$100. I even had one dealership bring in one truck from NJ where it was being stored so I can test drive it before making a deal. And I let them know I was ready to make a deal. Went there Christmas Eve morning to test drive it and make a deal. I wanted another $500 either off the truck, or on my trade in. They said they couldn't go any lower. They told me how it cost them over $100 to bring it in from NJ. To which I told them that's not my problem if you keep your inventory in NJ. I ended up walking out. They never called me back. Never even gave me a counter offer. And I had another dealer that said they gave me their best price, after asking for more off the price. I too left them with money in my pocket. A few days later after walking out on them, they called me back to see if I was still interested. I told them drop the price another $500, I'll be there in an hour at lunchtime and sign the papers. The manager said he couldn't do it. Again, not even a counter offer
Never seen such resistance. I always do the research, and know exactly what the dealers invoice cost is. And I've always been able to buy just slightly more than dealer cost. That was with my present truck, and even my wife's Toyota Rav4. And my very first truck was below dealer cost as it was on a ship coming from Japan when I made a deal to buy it. And when it came in, the dealer invoice cost and msrp was actually higher than what the dealer was originally told. But I had a signed contract already which the dealer had to honor.
So right now between dealer discount and rebates, I'm looking at about $7500 off the price of the truck. And I think this will be the best I'll get. I've been shopping for over a month now, and it's not getting any better. And if I wait any longer, I'll have to put new tires on my present truck for about $700. And I'll have to fix the 4wd which could cost over $2,000 depending on what's wrong. So no point spending almost $3,000 on my truck, in hopes of holding out another few months in hopes of saving another $1,000. The rebates are good until April, but the supply of 2016's is getting less every day. At least the ones equipped the way I want.

Oh, and I had some of these same dealers price out ordering a truck direct from the factory. Figuring they would then offer me more of a discount on a truck they're sitting on. Equipped just the way I wanted, instead of settling for what they had. Between their discount, and the lower rebates, total price of ordering a new truck was about $2500 more than the 2016 leftover. And I inquired at 3 dealers here, and 2 in PA. And they still offered me no more of a discount on their 2016's. And of course, the factory ordered truck would take 6-8 weeks to get, during which time I'd have to put new tires on my old truck and fix the 4wd. And there's no guarantee that after 2 months, they'd still give me what they originally offered as a trade in for my truck.
So this is what I think will have to pay if I want to get a new truck.
Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!

Online Wile E. Coyote

• Muy Guapo
  • Liked: 710
« Reply #1567 on: January 10, 2017, 07:06AM »
Supply and Demand.... trucks & SUVs are popular these days.  If you don't buy it, someone else will (like you said, inventory is getting lower every day.)

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #1568 on: January 10, 2017, 08:55AM »
My parents just bought a Chevy Traverse. They tried to buy at Paul Conte in Freeport and he offered $500 of sticker. They drove out to Atlantic and got $6k off. Dealers suck.
Was that with the rebates? The manufacturers were offering some huge rebates at end of year.

And yes Paul Conte sucks. His son was in my high school and was an a-hole, so I'm sure the father was too. I went there once with my Chevy Tahoe, still under warranty, to have the power side mirror fixed. They told me since I didn't buy it there, they couldn't fix it. Such bullshit, and I knew it. But if that's how they were, I wouldn't trust them servicing my truck anyhow.

Online DM

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #1569 on: January 10, 2017, 09:00AM »
Some of that was factory rebates but there were also dealer discounts. It was on a 17 though, not a 16.

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #1570 on: January 10, 2017, 09:52AM »
I see huge discounts on the Traverse. Like MarcoF said, it's probably simple supply and demand. Certainly a much bigger demand for pickup trucks, than a Traverse.

Online DM

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #1571 on: January 10, 2017, 10:10AM »
There are/were huge discounts on full size pickups as well. But not midsize since they all went through a redesign, are in demand and low inventory like you mentioned. If your not seeing the deals on the full size they may have ended. But there were frequent ads for 8-10k off for quite a while.

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #1572 on: January 10, 2017, 10:26AM »
I read many of those deals, and inquired about them. And you have to read "all" the fine print. Those discounts included all available rebates, some of which were to "first responders" and college people only. And also loyalty rebates, for those that previously owned a vehicle from that manufacturer. So that acounted for about $1,500-$2,000 I didn't qualify for. And then there were the prices that didn't include destination charges, in really, really, fine print. So destination charges on a truck were $1,200. So right there between all of that, you're losing over $3,000. So maybe I should take my $7,500 discounted price w/ rebates, and go for it?
I also believe Trump winning, will drive up demand for large trucks and Suv's. He's promising to roll back many EPA regulations that added to the cost of large gas guzzlers. Along with somewhat lower gas prices right now. And the talk of Trump making us energy independent, which could lower the cost of gas.

Online DM

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #1573 on: January 10, 2017, 11:06AM »
Your right about everyone not qualifying for all the discounts that's why I listed a range. Your very close to the 8k part so your deal seems good to me and if they haven't called you back over the $500 yet your probably getting the best deal your going to get.

I just checked the dealer websites here are don't see the deals anymore.

Offline cas

• El Guapo
  • The last of the V8 interceptors.
  • Liked: 2421
« Reply #1574 on: January 10, 2017, 11:59AM »
The sickness....  bought a holster for the gun I'm selling. 

(To be fair, I was in the process of buying it when I decided to sell the gun)

"Baseball's a game and games are supposed to be fun".-Jack Elliot