forum

Author Topic: Nassau no case against local gunstore  (Read 1907 times)

Offline xdguy

• El Guapo
  • When all else fails there is THE HAMMER
Nassau no case against local gunstore
« on: May 27, 2012, 10:06AM »
Read somewhere else that a Grand Jury decided that Nassau had no case against T&T and except for the money all the stores paid out for lawyers was a waste of time.
 It would seem that T&T most likely now has another lawsuit against Nassau, as to the other 5 stores don't know but either way would cost a fortune, Nassau would postpone it forever and you know maybe our Grandkids might see the payout.
NEW YORK the Expired State

Offline Big Matt

• Jefe
Re: Nassau no case against local gunstore
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 11:46AM »
Wouldn't the grand kids pay the payout as taxpayers?
Matt
RWVA Appleseed Instructor, Pistol Noob
10-22's, AR's, M1A, Garand, M&P 9L, 686+, Buckmark

Offline xdguy

• El Guapo
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 04:26PM »
yup that's what I meant. and their kids also by the time all said and done, we are taking the Nassau County government

Online DM

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 06:00PM »
The money that comes out of my taxes to pay the win is worth the president it will set.

Offline El Mysterioso

• Jefe
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 07:07PM »
Given some recent info from one of the defendants, the DA will drop charges, but the store owners will have to agree to a agreement not to counter sue the County. However, I am also given to understand that the State Police might face some legal repercussions, however.    "Doc"  :somb3.
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old too fight, he'll just kill you"

Offline OldGarandDad

• El Guapo
  • Non timebo mala
    • OldGarandDad
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 07:38PM »
Given some recent info from one of the defendants, the DA will drop charges, but the store owners will have to agree to a agreement not to counter sue the County. However, I am also given to understand that the State Police might face some legal repercussions, however.    "Doc"  :somb3.

I heard something like that too from some lawyers I process serve for sometimes. Supposedly a few county officials are steamed that Schiedermann's elite state storm troopers were used to circumvent the NCPD. A few other county execs took notice and their state reps and senators are lining up with them to put pressure on passing some bills to curtail the use of state police in jurisdictions with independent LE authority without permission.

Grab the popcorn becuase this could get messy and interesting at the same time.
"No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session." -- New York State Surrogate Court Judge Gideon John Tucker, Final Accounting in the Estate of A.B._, 1, Tucker (N.Y. Surrogate Court) 247, 249 (1866)

Offline xdguy

• El Guapo
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 07:40PM »
think the State A.G. will have any time for the rest of the state after he is done with Nassau and the City?

Online DM

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 05:27PM »
T&T just won 5 Million dollars for the 2007 raid on this store.

From Newsday:

A federal jury has awarded $5 million to a Seaford gun shop owner who said Nassau County police arrested him on the basis of wrongful allegations and damaged his business by suspending his dealer's license.
The jury's decision -- $3 million in compensatory damages and $2 million in punitive damages -- was reached Wednesday in federal court in Central Islip in favor of the owner, Martin Tretola and his shop, T&T Gunnery, according to court records.
The suit filed in 2008 said that police wrongfully arrested Tretola in June 2007 on a charge of reckless endangerment on the grounds that he was operating a makeshift gun range inside the shop, at 3778 Merrick Rd., near a natural gas line.
One of Tretola's attorneys, Steven Harfenist, of Lake Success, said the police never bothered to check whether the gas line was still active -- it had been disconnected for decades -- and he said the so-called makeshift range was actually a bullet trap, a device that safely absorbs bullets and their fragments for testing. The charge, according to the suit, was later dismissed.
Because of the license suspension and the stigma generated by the case, Harfenist said Tretola lost out on the sale of more than 900 guns, an amount based on sales from the previous year. The license has since been restored, Harfenist said.
"I can get my life back together," Tretola said Thursday night. "I lost a lot of money."
Harfenist praised the jury's decision.
"They were sending both the police and the county a message that this type of harassment is not going to be tolerated. It's pretty clear that the jury was outraged by the conduct," he said.
In addition to the police department and Nassau County, Tretola's suit also named Police Officer Erik Faltings, who was also found liable in the case.
Insp. Kenneth Lack, the police department's chief spokesman, declined to comment on the lawsuit and said Faltings also would have no comment. Lack said Faltings is still a police officer with the department and remains assigned to the pistol license section.
The Nassau County attorney, John Ciampoli, said the police had legally sufficient probable cause to make the arrest and that the county plans to contest the jury verdict.
"The actions of the police department were entirely reasonable, and obviously the jury feels different," Ciampoli said Thursday.
According to the suit, the trouble stemmed from a dispute between Tretola and Faltings over a firearm belonging to the officer's friend.

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 05:46PM »
 :somberomaracas :guapofighter

:bravo
I Fear No Evil, for you are with me

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 05:46PM »
This lawsuit was the pending suit that was to go to trial one month before the Nassau gun store raids. Conspiracy theories are that DA Rice had T&T raided to prevent the lawsuit from going foward. And that all the other stores were targeted too, to make it look like they weren't singling out Marty at T&T.
It's great that they won this and hopefully it reflects badly on DA Rice. But it also sucks that as Nassau County taxpayers we ultimitely pay for the $5 million.
Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!

Online DM

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 06:56PM »

Offline xdguy

• El Guapo
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 07:30PM »
 :bravo  Maybe he will have a half price saleso we can all help celebrate! :ElDiablo

Offline catahwho

• El Guapo
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 10:16PM »
Sometime the system does work.

Offline OldGarandDad

• El Guapo
  • Non timebo mala
    • OldGarandDad
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 02:48PM »

I will believe that when Kathleen Rice cannot get elected to dog catcher.
"No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session." -- New York State Surrogate Court Judge Gideon John Tucker, Final Accounting in the Estate of A.B._, 1, Tucker (N.Y. Surrogate Court) 247, 249 (1866)

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 04:10PM »

I will believe that when Kathleen Rice cannot get elected to dog catcher.

Too many people still believe she is doing the right thing and a good job. Going after guns, whether the innocent take a fall or not, is considered acceptable. Even if it cost the county some money. They rationalize that if it stops one crime, or gets an illegal gun off the street, its working.  Just ask Carolyn McCarthy what she thinks.  :Angry
Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!