forum

Author Topic: Slow & accurate vs Fast and sloppy  (Read 180 times)

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 2030
Slow & accurate vs Fast and sloppy
« on: June 03, 2018, 12:34PM »
Today and yesterday, I shot the Freeport match, and conducted a little experiment to see for me which way of shooting yields better results. Slow and accurate vs fast and sloppy. I used my same 1911 .40 gun on both days, using same ammo, and same number of rounds in mags. One day single stack major, the other L10 major. Being Freeport, all reloads were done after 8 rounds or less, so reloads were exactly the same way, same place.
Yesterday I shot quickly, and received several D's and at least one or two mikes, and 2 no-shoots. Today I slowed it down and got mostly A's, and 1 mike/no shoot. Now all stages were mainly from the 15 yd line, and the one classifier a little closer. So I'm guessing slow and accurate would give me the higher score. Once scores are posted, I'll let you know the results.
Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 2961
Re: Slow & accurate vs Fast and sloppy
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 01:43PM »
It really depends on so many factors.  I shoot better in the pm than I do early in the am, provided I am not exhausted, hydrated and the weather is not bearing on me.

Freeport if all things are equal you will always do better with slow and better hits.  Just because there is little body motion.  This is why young gun kicks everyone's ass at Freeport.  The kid does something that we all should do -- don't shoot faster than your sights.   Granted some targets are so close sights play little role.  Granted also that open, PCC and some limited guns are tuned to come back to target as soon as you are ready to shoot the second shot.  So your doubles can be crazy fast with little attention paid to the sight picture of the second shot in your split.  But for any other gun waiting for a good enough sight picture for that second shot will always give better rewarding results.  How good enough  a sight picture you will know through practice or by throwing away matches finding out.  Also for an all brown close range targets in a  large stage, hosing your way through it is recommended.

My 2 centavos
I Fear No Evil, for you are with me

Offline DChasseJR

• Jefe
  • Just joined
  • Liked: 94
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 04:17PM »
For your viewing and learning pleasure:

https://youtu.be/l3tbXI03kPM

Offline cas

• El Guapo
  • The last of the V8 interceptors.
  • Liked: 2204
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 04:27PM »
Very disappointed that this is a thread about shooting guns.
"Baseball's a game and games are supposed to be fun".-Jack Elliot

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 06:27PM »
Forget the comparison in that video, Lipsa needs a covering on their outdoor stages like that place had.  8)

Offline DChasseJR

• Jefe
  • Just joined
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 06:57PM »
Forget the comparison in that video, Lipsa needs a covering on their outdoor stages like that place had.  8)

They do. Itís called pit 1!

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 07:01PM »
Stage 1 has a small shoot house, with the targets outside it. In that video, it looked like a huge covered area, with the targets within it.

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 2961
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 07:37PM »
I hear they are looking for postmen who can swing a hammer to build just that...
I Fear No Evil, for you are with me

Offline cas

• El Guapo
  • The last of the V8 interceptors.
  • Liked: 2204
"Baseball's a game and games are supposed to be fun".-Jack Elliot

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 09:56PM »
I don't need shade, I need something to keep us out of the rain. 2 weeks in a row of getting rained on at a match has me going postal!  :pb

Offline DChasseJR

• Jefe
  • Just joined
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 02:44AM »
Buy this:
Attachments:

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 03:18PM »
Results are in https://practiscore.com/results/new/58384?q_result=0
Overall I did better going slow and steady, though on one stage, I did just slightly better going fast. But this was mainly shooting targets at 15 yds, so a little slower and more aiming helped. And the biggest difference was the classifier stage, which I totally tanked, as did most others, going fast. When you have a no shoot, surrounded by 3 targets, and have to shoot both strong and weak hand, going slow was a must.