forum

Author Topic: 4k Resolution  (Read 174 times)

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 2961
4k Resolution
« on: July 03, 2018, 09:14AM »
4K TVs are not as expensive as they once were.  But That does not mean the quality is compromised.

When I switched from 1080p to 4K, there was no going back.  The depth of color and clarity is like getting your first eye glasses. 

If you are in the market go straight to 4K.  It is not just the higher resolution but the overall picture quality.  Even for 1080p content most 4K units will make it look even better.

I Fear No Evil, for you are with me

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
Re: 4k Resolution
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 12:25AM »
Upped my Netflix subscription to UHD.  It is like $4 more a month

No way of going back after watching some of my favorite movies in UHD

Offline cas

• El Guapo
  • The last of the V8 interceptors.
  • Liked: 2204
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 01:08AM »
I only have 1k eyes.
"Baseball's a game and games are supposed to be fun".-Jack Elliot

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 09:09AM »
1k is 1080p

So not bad

Online hoodfu

• Audiophyles
  • Guapo
  • Liked: 226
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 10:57AM »
I recently stepped up to the latest Epson projector now that it's an even $2k and I'm still in awe. The contrast ratio is nuts and the added resolution (technically double the res of 1080p) is really amazing when zoomed up to large screen sizes. The full motorized functions and memory settings also allow us to effortlessly switch between a 16:9 or 2.35:1 aspect ratio zoom/focus/position on the wall. Amazing stuff.

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 11:46AM »
I got a good deal on a demo Sony 350es 4k projector

No HDR.

The projector is 3 years old but barely got any use.  At a fraction of what it used to cost upwards of  $10k I think I got a good deal. 

With another $2k I could had bought a new model with HDR .  But those cheap new models lack a lot of functionally that the old top of the line (for its price at the time) has built in.   The enclosure is identical and you would never know is an old projector.

When it arrived I was very skeptical but hopeful.  About 1/4 larger in all 3 dimensions than my epson it looked funny.  I have 6 feet tall ceilings in my basement so this is thing hangs at eye level when you stand.  Oh and it is substantially heavier too.  Anyways I turned it on and I rented a UHD movie in Vudu.  And wow. 

I am sure HDR brings a lot more to the table, but for now I am happy on my gamble.  My screen is a little more than 115 inches and the images look amazing at any distance from the screen.

But of course 8K and 12k are coming.. lol...

Online hoodfu

• Audiophyles
  • Guapo
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 12:11PM »
I'd say even without HDR, what really blew me away was going from a 50,000:1 contrast ratio to 1 million to 1. I had no idea they could make projectors have these kinds of black levels now. They've had these levels available for years now but my old one kept chugging along so we never updated.

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 12:29PM »
Yup

Contrast ratio and sick black levels give you a 3D level of realism even in 1080p.

Honestly if you go to a movie theater you are no longer impressed.  Unless you do IMAX.

I was watching a YouTube 4k video, an arial view of NYC, in YouTube  and I thought I was really flying at one point.

Let me get you that video

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 12:31PM »

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 12:33PM »
Get the latest Ruku ($60) device and download the YouTube app.

Online hoodfu

• Audiophyles
  • Guapo
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 01:28PM »
Yep, I've got an Apple TV 4k and Roku Ultra so all my 4k apps are covered now. That video is crazy. It's funny that youtube has an 8k version of it if you're so inclined.

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2018, 02:31PM »
The fact you can upload 8K to YouTube and be able to download it to your tv is miles ahead of cable tv. 

Streaming is the way to go.

For my local news and I use the Pluto channel from Roku

I was about to buy a 4k player and I was like - why?  I get 4k + atmos from streaming now.

Online hoodfu

• Audiophyles
  • Guapo
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 02:34PM »
I'm kinda wondering why we're not seeing any movement on 4k for broadcast channels. Netflix/Amazon Prime/Youtube/the various movie streaming services have effectively left regular television channels in the dust without a word about where it's going.

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2018, 03:33PM »
I think the writing is on the wall.

The regular broadcast networks still have a faithful or unwilling to change crowd (cas for instance).  So while those remain happy paying customers not real motivation to change.  But major cable networks like HBO are waking up.

In yotube you will find OReyllie, Larry King and others who were forced out from the major networks with a healthy following in their online programs. 

I am old enough to remember what it was like when you could only download pictures from the internet via a 24/56k modems.

Offline radioman

• Audiophyles
  • Muy Guapo
  • Probably banned in New York!
    • My Job
  • Liked: 169
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2018, 04:41PM »
I do not think broadcast is ready for 4K. Major changes in head end and 8K even harder.
They use the extra bandwidth for other channels now and make money on advertising on those channels. JMHO
When guns are outlawed,
 only outlaws will have guns!(maybe)