forum

Author Topic: Shops closer to SCPD Pistol bureau  (Read 1559 times)

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 3368
Re: Shops closer to SCPD Pistol bureau
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2019, 06:32PM »
Hey I have gotten good deals a Bensonís.  Their prices on new rifles and handguns is competitive.  They have a really large store in coram.  Just donít buy old and collectible stuff without doing your research first.  That applies to all the stores.  But where one will educate you the other might take
Advantage of you.
I Fear No Evil, for you are with me

Offline cas

• El Guapo
  • The last of the V8 interceptors.
  • Liked: 2346
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2019, 08:01PM »
As a general FYI , I've visited Doug (and Bill) at 782 Gunworks twice in the last few weeks. Did a transfer earlier last month and picked up a lower on new years day. Small place, geared towards precision rifles, but a handful of pistols and a couple shotguns, ammo, cleaning supplies etc etc.

Rifle transfer was $27 after tax.

Doug is a familiar friendly face for you Campsite patrons.

I didn't know I knew Bill until he came in on my second visit. When he walked in my brain went "Oh... I know him!" In fact only a few days before I'd watched a video of him shooting and wondered what had become of him since I hadn't seen him in years. I squaded an number of times with him at LIPSA in muti gun matches and the like.

They will be my new go to for transfers. Not as close as Pete was in PJ Sta, but just as easy to deal with. Doug's willing to do the "before" paper work via email, so one less trip. No need to go there and setup the transfer, making it very easy to spend money. lol I'll have to be careful.
;)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 08:06PM by cas »
"Baseball's a game and games are supposed to be fun".-Jack Elliot

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 2334
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2019, 08:40PM »
So 9mm or 45? I am still on the fence.
If you're planning on using it for USPSA,  the 8 shot revolvers in 38/9mm are the new craze.  Shooting a 32rd stage is hard enough with a revolver. If you have a 6 shot revolver, you'll need a minimum of 6 speed loaders. 4, if you're using an 8 shot revolver.
Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2019, 09:57PM »
782 gunworks

What is the address or web site

Love to see Doug

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2019, 09:05AM »
782 gunworks

What is the address or web site

Love to see Doug

https://782guns.com

1545A2 Ocean Ave, Bohemia, NY 11716

P: 631-468-8116 E: Doug@782guns.com Open Tuesday-Saturday, 10AM-7PM

Online Athk01

• Guapo
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2019, 04:47PM »
Thanks k you all for the advice. Now the complicated question go with the  moon clip 45 or the moon clip 9mm that has 2 more shots available. Is there any reason not to get the 929 other than I may be able to find a s&w 45 moon clip version for less and way less if used?

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2019, 05:19PM »
Like I said in my previous post, 9mm/38 is the way to go. The extra 2 rounds in revolver makes a big difference, along with the much reduced recoil.
And that's why a used 45 version is so much cheaper. They're abandoning the 45's, in favor of the smaller caliber. Remember, in a revolver, there's no recoil springs to experiment with to control recoil. Recoil control is all by weight of gun, and power of the cartridge.

Online Athk01

• Guapo
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2019, 10:38AM »
I have been reviewing the 986 they keep saying not to use cast to much. Unfortunately I still have a lot and want to get rid of it and then switch over to Molly coated. Some even say they only use fmj. Since I am leaning towards this model is Molly coated the good enough in between? I know the arguments to stop using cast but once upon a time I picked up a lot of it so it's here to use and I am not parting with it unless it's moving away from me at high speeds.

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2019, 01:41PM »
I don't know about molly coated, but the Ibejiheads coated work great. Reduced leading, and lower price than fmj's make them a bargain. And all pricing includes shipping, and usually arrives quick as they're in NJ. And if you catch it when the owner Alex is shooting a match at LIPSA, he'll bring the bullets to the match, and you save at least $20 or10% because he refunds the shipping cost.

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2019, 06:22PM »
Poly coated, plated and jacketed have one thing in common, less leading. It is difficult to remove lead fouling.  With cast bullets you are also exposing yourself to lead when you reload.

Polycoated bullets are about the same price as cast bullets and some plated are as well.  Why bother with cast bullets.  Having said that cast bullets are less punishing to your rifling and if you shoot a jacketed bullet once in a while you can keep the leading in your rifling in check.

Molly coated i have heard not too many good things.  Like the molly if not cleaned can attract and trap moisture which can lead to rust in your rifling.  I am not sure how true that is.  Also it leaves a black residue in your rifling not easy to remove if you care about stuff like that.  I frankly want well defined rifling.  I donít care about color.

Online Athk01

• Guapo
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2019, 11:20AM »
I loaded a bunch of Ibjeheads and they were not that bad. Less smoke with Tite group was the first thing I saw. I follow that process with my 9mm carbine. I load 9 cast and the last with fmj to keep things cleaner than just using cast on all 10.  I even do that with my Sig. Thanks Bob for letting me know that I can have them dropped off at lipsa.

The last thing, who sells FMJ for a good price, I could never find them at a close enough price that would make me switch. They are always more expensive.

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2019, 01:43PM »
The drop off at LIPSA only applies if Alex happens to be shooting the match. He usually makes the bigger matches; March Madness, Spring Blast, LI Championship,etc.

As far as FMJ's, they're always going to cost more than cast or coated. I used to use Precision Delta https://www.precisiondelta.com , but since using Ibejiheads, I never saw the need to buy them since I get no leading with Ibejiheads. I also used to use Montanna Gold in my limited gun. Very expensive, but very accurate. But I also switched to Ibejiheads. Didn't really need bullseye accuracy for what we do.

Online DM

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 1346
Shops closer to SCPD Pistol bureau
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2019, 05:29PM »
Montana gold get very reasonable IF you buy them by the case. Anything other than case pricing is not.

Zero Bullets from Rose distributing are an option as well but do cost a bit more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Athk01

• Guapo
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2019, 06:23PM »
Thanks I will look into Montana hold just to see what they have. The cast I have used did not create that much fouling as it was cast well. The first company I used was not that great, I would have a lot of fouling Master Cast out in PA is what I used to use and for the quality they had the best price. With what I ordered last time I think I forced the Postal guy into early retirement.

Online Young Guns Dad

• Muy Guapo
  • Liked: 266
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2019, 09:49PM »
 :senorsomb i buy zero from powder valley