bobtorre Custom

Author Topic: Matches in Staten Island, where and when?  (Read 842 times)

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 2461
Matches in Staten Island, where and when?
« on: January 02, 2019, 11:23PM »
I know they started doing matches in Staten Island last year, and supposedly have it organized now. So I'd like to give them a try. Since New Jersey just enacted a 10 rd mag capacity like NY, there's no motivation to go there for shooting Limited.
So just where and when do they take place? And are they year round, or start when it gets warm? And do they register on Practiscore? Now that I have the time, I'm game for shooting more matches.
Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 3542
Re: Matches in Staten Island, where and when?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 09:56AM »
It is important to mention that your license is completely invalid in NYC.

It is a very gray line we cross every time we travel through the city roads and bridges on our way to Jersey.  Which is why observing all the federal transportation rules of firearms is so important.  But once you are in NJ you are likely not to be arrested if pulled over on your way to a match.  It does not mean that you won’t; just less likely.  In the city you are under that very likely threat all the time.

Love the sport.  Support any club that helps it grow.  But a gun charge would put an end to all of it and likely will lose my job.  I have heard one too many horror stories of people getting into trouble while traveling with their guns at airports, even after deligently following the prescribed procedure.  One misunderstanding and they were toast. 

In our Suffolk license it explicitly says not legal in NYC.  To me that means don’t even try.  My 2 cents anyways
I Fear No Evil, for you are with me

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 12:55PM »
If the matches are a sanctioned match, you are covered under the law. Just have to make sure all guns and ammo are secured away from the driver.
I've heard of more problems in NJ than NY, barring those instances at the airports. With the recently enacted mag ban, and ongoing hollow point ban, NJ police are delving into new territory. So they're more likely to err on the side of taking you in, and let the courts sort it out.

Oh, and btw, unlike in NY, in NJ the 10 rd mag restriction applies to all LEO not on duty. So off duty, they are legally restricted to 10 rds like everyone else. So, you think they have a little bit of a grudge? And any gun owner they pull over, is going to be the target of their anger.

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 03:25PM »
Good luck PB.

Take some videos 8)

Online hoodfu

• Muy Guapo
  • Boom
  • Liked: 344
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 05:59PM »
They still have the policy that NYC pistol licensees canít take their pistols out of NYC, even for a match. Itís been upheld by the courts. SAF just launched a new challenge to it, with the hope of taking it all the way to SCOTUS this time. That said, theyíre so crazy about even such a minor thing as transporting a legal handgun outside the city, I canít imagine bringing one into the city and using it there. Even if you had an NRA match letter, the local police would probably laugh at you and tell you to tell it to the judge when you see them when youíre arraigned on Monday. Just not worth it.

Online Sarge

• Muy Guapo
  • Liked: 630
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 06:43PM »
Jersey already fixed that little legal mishap in an "Emergency Session". Their cops are covered again.
If you pick up a weapon, you are embarking on a career of great sadness mixed with rare touches of glory,Ē

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 07:26PM »
They still have the policy that NYC pistol licensees can't take their pistols out of NYC, even for a match. It's been upheld by the courts.
That's because NYC issues "Premise" permits, not "carry" permits which we have, with admin restrictions. A NYC permit holder has to apply for the additional "green card", which allows them to take the guns outside of the city for hunting and target shooting privileges. When I was in the hunting club, most of the members were from Brooklyn/Queens. They all had the additional green card.

Online hoodfu

• Muy Guapo
  • Boom
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 07:39PM »
Well, itís considered such a serious thing that itís currently being looked at by SCOTUS for cert appeal. itís set for conference tomorrow.

http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/new-york-state-rifle-pistol-association-inc-v-city-of-new-york-new-york/

Offline DM

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 1371
Matches in Staten Island, where and when?
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 08:38PM »
Well, itís considered such a serious thing that itís currently being looked at by SCOTUS for cert appeal. itís set for conference tomorrow.

http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/new-york-state-rifle-pistol-association-inc-v-city-of-new-york-new-york/

Very cool. Seems like it should be an easy win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online hoodfu

• Muy Guapo
  • Boom
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 08:40PM »
All of these should be an easy win, but seems to never be granted. Now we get to see if the huge fight over Kavanaugh was worth it.

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 09:42PM »
Not to beat a dead horse.  But my license says not legal for NYC.  Not other state, county or town is mentioned.  Just NYC

Offline Keepkool

• El Guapo
  • You only have one SHOT to make a good impression
  • Liked: 811
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 03:49PM »
Matches in S.I. are usually scheduled the first Saturday at Colonial's USPSA and second Saturday at Richmond Boro's USPSA match. About the legality of shooting at these ranges I choose not to comment. Familerize yourself with the travel and shooting rules and NRA sanctioned event .
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Online hoodfu

• Muy Guapo
  • Boom
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 10:05AM »
WOW. I think Hell just froze over (fitting for how it is outside). SCOTUS just granted cert in the NYSPRA vs. NYC case concerning NYC's limitations on legal handgun transportation!

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/012219zor_8759.pdf

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 10:45AM »
In layman's term, what does it mean?

Online hoodfu

• Muy Guapo
  • Boom
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 10:51AM »
Many are saying that this is more than just a 2A case, that it may also affect commerce clauses and travel rights. The consensus is that they'll slap NYC, which won't affect us much, but they're really hoping that they'll establish that all 2A cases need to be judged with strict scrutiny, which would potentially reverse tons of 2a cases, including our own assault rifle and mag ban ones. What level of scrutiny to apply has been the corner stone of the circuits ruling against us. If that's removed, and strict is enforced from now on, almost all of these laws would fall.