forum

Author Topic: Just announced!  (Read 209 times)

Offline merlin

• Gran Jefe
  • Liked: 5
Just announced!
« on: April 09, 2019, 09:59PM »
Customs and Border Protection has selected Glock for the new duty weapon.  Three platforms, the 26, 19 and new unreleased 47. The 26 will not be for uniform carry.  I believe the 19 and 47 will be gen 5 MOS pistols.  Excited to say goodbye to the p2000, dad to leave the .40 caliber though.  More to follow.

Offline merlin

• Gran Jefe
Re: Just announced!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 08:05AM »
So as an update, apparently the 47 is a glock 45 frame and a new slide that is extended, and the reason for all of this is so that the 47 and 19 are semi interchangeable, you can run the 19 slide on the 47 frame.  Contract called for 3 different size guns.  Seems redundant but it was part of the selection process.  There is a press release that I will attach later if anyone is interested.

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 2461
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 08:13AM »
Surprised they are going down to 9mm. It would seem down at the borders, with potential for running against drug cartels and such, you'd want heavier firepower.
Maybe they feel increased capacity is better.
Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 3542
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 09:27AM »
I personally rather have capacity over stopping power at the border. Both are ideal if it can be had.  But a wall of lead is fearsome.
I Fear No Evil, for you are with me

Online hoodfu

• Muy Guapo
  • Boom
  • Liked: 344
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 01:40PM »
Surprised they are going down to 9mm. It would seem down at the borders, with potential for running against drug cartels and such, you'd want heavier firepower.
Maybe they feel increased capacity is better.

Seeing as people crossing illegally can travel in groups, increased capacity would make sense if it turns out to be more nefarious than just migrant workers etc.

Offline merlin

• Gran Jefe
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 08:12AM »
The official word has been that the changeover to 9mm is because after many years of studies and advancement in technology the 9mm round is just as effective as the .40 cal. That is their story.  I am happy it is Glock, and I wish that it had been glock instead of HK.  The p2000 is a decent gun up to 5000 rounds, after that no bueno.  They break down.