forum

Author Topic: Certified Ammunition  (Read 183 times)

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 3887
Certified Ammunition
« on: October 09, 2019, 10:10AM »
https://m.facebook.com/notes/us-practical-shooting-assn-uspsa/certified-match-ammuntion-program/2788607217856101/

From above

Certified Match Ammuntion Program
SEPTEMBER 9 ∑ CUSTOM
USPSA has a program that enables competitors to use commercially manufactured ammunition at the manufacturer's declared power factor, and maintain that power factor declaration.  The basic premise is this:  a manufacturer makes ammunition in popular calibers and bullet weights, for use in our competitions (Appendix C3).  This ammo is tested to the best of their ability to guarantee that it makes the declared power factor, but because manufacturers can't test their ammunition through everybody’s firearm, there is a mechanism to allow for maintaining the declared power factor, even if the commercial ammunition, when tested using the standard chronograph procedure, doesn't make the declared power factor.  Any competitor using the Commercial Ammunition at a match must submit an initial "delivery" sample along with a signed declaration stating they are using Certified Ammunition and will not substitute it.  That sample is retained for the duration of the match, or until needed at chronograph.  Meanwhile, the competitor must surrender an additional 8-round chronograph sample when requested.  This ammo is transported to chronograph, and is used in the standard chronograph procedure as spelled out in the rules.  Should the competitor's ammo not make their declared power factor, the delivery sample is tested.  If the chronograph sample is no more than 10 power factor below the delivery sample (and they are almost always identical), the competitor retains the declared power factor (Appendix C2).  Substituting different ammo without notifying the RM is a DQ under 10.6.
I Fear No Evil, for you are with me

Offline xdguy

• El Guapo
  • Not missing NY Y'all
  • Liked: 658
Re: Certified Ammunition
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 06:22PM »
Sounds good til you start looking at the price of a box of 50, compared to loading your own if that is what you do.
NEW YORK the Expired State
I'm gone thank you

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 2620
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 08:19PM »
That extra cost is the insurance that you're keeping your declared PF, even if the actual ammo does not.
Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 08:27AM »
To be honest, every competitor should know what loads make PF for his or her platform, whether these are reloads or factory ammo.  Even amongst same model guns results could vary enough to get you in the red zone.  This is why it is recommended to be at least +10 above the needed PF for any loads you plan to use in a match. 

Here is an idea.  Why canít manufacturers list all the guns they tested their ammo with, and add a disclaimer that the buyer should test?

This sounds  more political than USPSA pandering to the needs of its members to make PF, IMO. 

Also how fair is this? Imagine you find a sweet load that puts you -10 major PF and shoots like a dream in your gun with one of these factory loads.  How is that fair to the poor soul trying to keep his front sight on target while man-handling a +15 above major PF?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 08:33AM by bob »

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 2620
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 12:01PM »
Also how fair is this? Imagine you find a sweet load that puts you -10 major PF and shoots like a dream in your gun with one of these factory loads.  How is that fair to the poor soul trying to keep his front sight on target while man-handling a +15 above major PF?

Like your reloads, vs Hoodfu's loads?  :D
Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!

Offline xdguy

• El Guapo
  • Not missing NY Y'all
  • Liked: 658
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 12:48PM »
Personally I think  new people and ones sponsored by someone will benefit from this. Are you going to practice with reloads then shoot a match with official ammo, or by a couple thousand rounds a month at ? Per box.?
 There goes your new Infinity 2011.
NEW YORK the Expired State
I'm gone thank you

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 03:59PM »
Exactly.