Author Topic: New Weight limits CO AND Production  (Read 1147 times)

Online xdguy

• El Guapo
  • Not missing NY Y'all
  • Liked: 800
New Weight limits CO AND Production
« on: March 03, 2020, 10:44AM »
Seems big news and not many happy? The new weight for the divisions is now up to 49 with empty magazine. Might as well toss out the Glocks,M+ps,etc for higher level matches.
NEW YORK the Expired State
I'm gone thank you

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 4766
Re: New Weight limits CO AND Production
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 10:48AM »
The only thing attractive about shooting plastic is the price of the gun.  It really is a handicap, albeit for some not as much, but it is a disadvantage nevertheless
I Fear No Evil, for you are with me

Online xdguy

• El Guapo
  • Not missing NY Y'all
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 10:52AM »
Also slide cuts allowed, New slides,barrels. Some saying now only difference between open and them is muzzle break and where optics mounted.
 This seems like when the IDPA broke away and formed. So changed the rules not the same game. :cascrying
I'm gone thank you

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 11:27AM »
Yup.  You can beat an open shooter shooting major PF with you CO gun.  Also no limitation on the mags only length ... 

Shooters shooting single stack, revolver, limited and open are getting small in numbers.

The cool kidz shoot PCC, CO and Production

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 11:49AM »
Honestly the worst thing that happened to USPSA was PCC and CO.  Both killed most of the divisions IMHO

Production as a division has not escaped unscathed.  It basically dealt a death blow to the cheap plastic entry level guns.  Now all metal in 9mm is the way to go, and it ainít cheap

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 3169
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 12:28PM »
The weight limit for production, means all those steel guns are almost competing with a Limited gun shooting minor. All bad.
Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!

Online xdguy

• El Guapo
  • Not missing NY Y'all
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 06:12PM »
And amazingly my S&W Doug Honeig 1911 performance center 1911 is under the lowest top weight for now any division with a weight restriction yet illegal for Single stack  because it has 3 milled out areas on each side. REALLY NOW?????
 But yeah they have made CZ and the like happy but have now scared away newbies interested but not willing to spend over a thousand just to see if they want to compete.
 I see a new off shoot like IDPA happening to return to more saner rules that haven't been paid for.
I'm gone thank you

Online Jhenke

• Guapo
  • Pistolero
  • Liked: 244
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 06:47PM »
It's actually 59 oz for production and carry optics. Not sure who the hell has a pistol that heavy for competition. Even the CZ custom A01 LD is 51 oz. So much for everyone who milled their Shadow 2 slide to make weight.

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 3169
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 08:30PM »
59 oz?  :shocked  You can be sure there's some gun company about to release a steel production gun near that weight. It's problaby been in the works for awhile now. They just needed to "grease" the palms of those in charge of USPSA first, to get them to change the weight limit, before announcing this new gun.  :rolleyes
Isn't that how CO started in the first place? The gun was built first, then they got the rules ammended to allow them?  :thinking As Bob would say, opprobrious!   :Angry
Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 10:16PM »
It's actually 59 oz for production and carry optics. Not sure who the hell has a pistol that heavy for competition. Even the CZ custom A01 LD is 51 oz. So much for everyone who milled their Shadow 2 slide to make weight.

These rule changes have a financial impact to shooters.  It is like they donít care

Offline cas

• El Guapo
  • The last of the V8 interceptors.
  • Liked: 2679
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 05:32PM »
If there were a whole bunch of cheap, affordable , applicable guns being kept out by the old weight limit, then maybe. Just maybe. But otherwise, why?
"Baseball's a game and games are supposed to be fun".-Jack Elliot

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 05:34PM »
People cut slides to make weight ... that is money wasted.  And to become competitive heavy is better now.   Before plastic and light was enough.

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 12:10PM »
Btw, I would be remiss not to mention I know of one competitor, who now shoots all steel in prod, with dire dumpster fire like results.  He switches to the same exact gun in plastic and he rules.  It boggles the mind

So there are exceptions ;)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 12:26PM by bob »

Online Jhenke

• Guapo
  • Pistolero
  • Liked: 244
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2020, 11:25AM »
Honestly, I prefer the heavier pistol. But, I shot 2 new pistols at this years USPSA matches, a polymer Phantom (30oz) and a Shadow 2 (46) with similar results. It's more the driver than the tool. The Shadow 2 is 5 oz heavier than the Shadow I shot all last year. I cant imagine much heavier. Target transitions will suffer.