forum

Author Topic: 8 Rd 1911 mags (.45acp) wont seat without tremendous force  (Read 612 times)

Offline BrianB

• Jefe
  • Iron Guapo
  • Liked: 17
I have a SW1911PC.  Itís a great pistol that works well with 10 round mags but its a B*tch to seat the fully loaded 8 rd mags.   I figured the springs would break in over time but they havenít.   I cant use them in competition for when its so hard to lock them in.

The mags are what came standard with the gun and they dont have any branding on them.

Any recommendations for magazines that seat easily with 8 rounds? 

Thanks!

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 3229
Re: 8 Rd 1911 mags (.45acp) wont seat without tremendous force
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 09:10PM »
There are many out there that may be better, but I use Kimber's KimPro Tac-Mags with the largest extended base on them. https://store.kimberamerica.com/8-round-kimpro-tac-mag-full-length I have a Kimber pistol, and have never had a problem with them. They insert easily with 8 rounds in them. And I also use them in my Springfield RO compact, which I'll be using in Sunday's match. I've been using the same mags for 10 years now.
Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!

Offline cas

• El Guapo
  • The last of the V8 interceptors.
  • Liked: 2727
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 09:17PM »
If you're loading your own, load up eight rounds with a slightly shorter over all length and try them.
I learned that can be the culprit on two occasions, with a 1911 and a SIG P220. One time I could only load 7, the other only 6!

I've had great luck with my Metalforms, but they seem to have dropped 90% of their line. They used to sell a wide variety of finishes and base options, now there only seems to be one.  :sad second

I recently bought a bunch of Wilson mags which I used in the last match, no problems but the verdict is still out. (their design is like a lot of other mags and harder to clean than the Metalforms)
"Baseball's a game and games are supposed to be fun".-Jack Elliot

Offline BrianB

• Jefe
  • Iron Guapo
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 04:38PM »
Did some reading and ended up ordering some Wilson Combat mags.  Pricey but great reviews and a lifetime replacement guarantee. 

Online Athk01

• Muy Guapo
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 12:17PM »
I agree with Bob. Kimber magazines are good and they include extra screws, flat base, long plastic base and a short plastic base or bumper. If you ever get a magazine that is tapped and it did not come with a bumper you can use the extra screws and bumper from Kimber.

Offline cas

• El Guapo
  • The last of the V8 interceptors.
  • Liked: 2727
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 06:23PM »
You want another Kimber Pro mag?  I have one and I think it's turd. I stopped bringing it to matches many years ago.
"Baseball's a game and games are supposed to be fun".-Jack Elliot