Author Topic: Open gun optics  (Read 590 times)

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 5304
Open gun optics
« on: January 07, 2021, 12:27PM »
So I was looking at updating the red dot on my open gun.  I wanted to keep up with what the kool kidz use these days.  In my journey of discovery, I was surprised to find this the best one I found

ila_rendered
Attachments:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 12:31PM by bob »
I Fear No Evil, for you are with me

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
Re: Open gun optics
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 12:28PM »
Then I looked at my current c-more.  I just don’t see what is the gain?  Specially with the c-mores being half the price almost, never mind proven performance.  Now to mount on the slide for carry optics, I feel the SRO is where is at.  But they ain’t cheap.  The idea of shooting CO as a way to shoot open cheaply becomes less of a valid argument

Offline cas

• El Guapo
  • The last of the V8 interceptors.
  • Liked: 2860
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 05:03PM »
There's a lot of people who would argue about the C-more.  Guys who shoot a lot of open sometimes have more than one of them, use one while the other is getting repaired.

I could theoretically get you an SRO for around $470.  I say theoretically because RSR doesn't actually have any in stock.
"Baseball's a game and games are supposed to be fun".-Jack Elliot

Online Keepkool

• El Guapo
  • You only have one SHOT to make a good impression
  • Liked: 890
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 09:31PM »
Right now the new hot optics are the Sig Max and the Trijicon SRO . Both have clear glass and sharp dots. These two optic blow away all in its category and have had a good track record of not breaking down. I have upgraded the sights on my Open gun from the old C-More to the new RMR2 for the larger window and easier battery change but have had the issue that CAS speaks of by owning 3 sight so one ia always ready to be repaired. With all the optics I have .
 I enjoy with the Sig Romeo series . I have just started shooting CO and my Shadow 2 has a Romeo 1 that has already been sent back for repair. I just received a mounting plate to install the Sig Max. I may put the Trigicon SRO on the backup to compare the two .
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Online radioman

• Audiophyles
  • Muy Guapo
  • Probably banned in New York!
    • My Job
  • Liked: 339
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 11:40AM »
A little off topic, but anyone put on optic on their SIg P365. I here folks raving about Romeo.
Never used a carry optic before. Worth it? Make the gun a little bigger to carry concealed
When guns are outlawed,
 only outlaws will have guns!(maybe)

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 3444
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 02:03PM »
Any optic on the 365, in my opion, would negate the concealability of it.
Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!

Online radioman

• Audiophyles
  • Muy Guapo
  • Probably banned in New York!
    • My Job
  • Liked: 339
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 03:51PM »
Thanks PB! That's exactly how I feel, but saw on another board everyone raving about it and thought I was missing something!
When guns are outlawed,
 only outlaws will have guns!(maybe)

Online xdguy

• El Guapo
  • Not missing NY Y'all
  • Liked: 867
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 06:41PM »
I know Sig makes a 365 optics ready. I have a Sig Romeo mounted on my P320X5 haven't used it in a match yet. I'm finding it harder to get used to a dot on a pistol as you have to see the target, then put the dot on it, unlike on my rifle with the longer sight picture doesn't matter as much.
 As far as a dot on a carry, wouldn't makes a much harder obstacle to being concealed and withdrawn due to needing co witnessed sights.
NEW YORK the Expired State
I'm gone thank you

Offline SalR

• Guapo
  • Young Gun
  • Liked: 155
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 12:43AM »
Depending on how you carry the guns, dots on carry guns do little to effect the conceal-ability. if it's in a IWB holster, you want the full grip of the gun above the belt-line for easy access to a full draw. Enough of the slide is above the belt that would allow for the RMR (or other optic) to sit above the belt line. Doesn't have to be Appendix either, canbe done at 4/5 o clock too. Only issue would be pocket carry. The sights shouldn't be a snag point on the gun in those positions either.

Online Postal Bob

• Global Moderator
  • El Guapo
  • Liked: 3444
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 09:44AM »
Looks dumb with an optic. Plus, what about if you get hot/ sweat, and the optic gets foggy?
Besides, for ccw, if you can't hit a target at point blank range without an optic, you shouldn't be shooting.
Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!

Offline bob

• Administrator
  • El Guapo
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 10:13AM »
Looks cool

Offline cas

• El Guapo
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2021, 11:48AM »
if you can't hit a target at point blank range without an optic, you shouldn't be shooting.

What if they're shooting at you?

"Sir...  excuse me sir? Pardon me but, statistics say most shoot outs occur between three and ten feet. I hate to trouble you, but would you mind terribly to stop shooting and moving closer first? That'd be great, thanks."

While not a fan of night sights myself, mostly because I don't see them, that's the argument against them as well. "If you can't see your sights or what your shooting at, you shouldn't be shooting." Okay, what if what you're shooting it is incoming muzzle flashes in the dark?

As a side note, having fired at critters in the dark, I learned that just because you can see your sights for the first shot, doesn't mean you'll be able to see them after that. The flashbulb effect. The fact the gun had night sights was the only thing that allowed me to keep shooting.

Online xdguy

• El Guapo
  • Not missing NY Y'all
  • Liked: 867
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2021, 06:56PM »
I have one question how about time to turn it on, or how long does a battery last in standby ? Scary for me to depends on
NEW YORK the Expired State
I'm gone thank you

Offline cas

• El Guapo
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2021, 07:09PM »
I don't know about the little ones, but I read often about the Aimpoint rifle optics that many people never turn them off. They leave them on for years at a time. Maybe change the battery every couple years. (that, I do not understand. It's a consumable, eventually you will "use it up".

Offline SalR

• Guapo
  • Young Gun
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2021, 09:54PM »
I have one question how about time to turn it on, or how long does a battery last in standby ? Scary for me to depends on

RMR you can leave on for a year+ on one of the settings (6? )? which is good for indoors and night, but not for like extremely bright daylight. If you turn it off when it's in the safe, and turn it on when you're out and about it should be 100% fine. the brightest setting (8 ) lasts 25 days.
https://www.trijicon.com/frequently-asked-questions/category/rmr-faqs. I can take pictures in my room with lights on and off and post them if you want.

For concern about fog blocking the emitter, you can get a closed optic like the aimpoint ACRO or the new sig one
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 10:21PM by SalR »

Offline SalR

• Guapo
  • Young Gun
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2021, 11:22PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yzpJBrLU5U

video review, I like to watch this guy. He has a very "no bullshit" feeling to his videos.